Wednesday 4 July 2012

Oh J.K

Now that I have my first "new" post out of the way, I can present you with this little treasure.


Miss Rowling we salute you


Our much beloved Harry Potter creator has unearthed the cover of her newest novel. It is obvious from this cover that we will struggle to rate her current work with that of her previous much loved series. 


The audience of this title will I'm sure present itself as a mix match of ages, consisting of those Potter fans hoping to capture an essence of their youth. And those adults who never quite "got" the Harry Potter series and are looking to get their own piece of Miss Rowling in this new adult "black comedy".


Although the cover looks interesting, it gives little away. I believe the only reason it captured my attention was owing to Rowling's name on the cover. I imagine many will read this in the hope that it will share some similarity to the style of the Potter series, however they may be poorly disappointed. 


The book is centred around a small country town, with it's residents at war with each other, a far cry from her original work. The book is set for release worldwide in September. 


I imagine it will be hugely popular as Rowling has a vast following. However I struggle to believe this work will have credit where it is due. The public are too focused on her previous works, and will either love or hate this new piece. It is going to be difficult for Rowling to move away from the genre which we are so comfortable and familiar with her fitting in to.


I for one will read this book on the basis that I am a Harry Potter fan, but I wonder how easy it will be for those of us to forget the voices in our head that still tell us to search for that little bit of magic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment