Tuesday 4 September 2012

All aboard strikes again

Afternoon all, this isn't a "proper" blog post today. I simply wish to share with you something that has captured my heart whilst out on a little thrift trip today. I love it so much that it is already mounted on my wall, ahead of all the other pictures sadly waiting to be hung since my move two weeks ago. Of course when I say mounted, please don't start imagining me with a measuring tape and hammer or anything of the professional kind. I found a nail already hammered randomly into one of my walls and instantly hung my new love.

In my last blog, I raved about a charity shop I found in West Hampstead. Well the little haven has delivered once again. I bought this amazing line drawing with the caption "Time For Reflection" for just £5. 




I'm uncertain as to why I have fallen for it, as it is no spectacular piece. Yet I love the simplicity of the design and the skill clearly used in creating the different shades in the print using straight and curved lines against the stark white background. It is a typical piece of  Line Art, emphasizing form and outline over colour and texture. 

The scene itself depicts the caption perfectly in my mind, with what I can only judge as a young wife reflecting on her life whilst her old aristocratic husband snoozes over his morning paper. One can only imagine what she must be thinking, I'll leave it to you to make your own judgements....

No comments:

Post a Comment